Friday, May 5, 2017

Week Twelve: The Exhibition

Pony backgrounds used in episode are on display, they're amazing as it really does look like the show! Maddy Benporath did an outstanding job and I hope she has great things ahead of her.

Having the exhibition on Tuesday, while the actual grade is on Friday is the sort of thing I have come to expect now, still the supposed logic is that we’re working towards a tight deadline, as in being like on TV where there’s a specific time and date where the show must go to air (or head’s will be rolling). While this was a bit personally inconvenient for me as my parents were leaving on the very same Tuesday to go on holiday overseas for a month, so instead of seeing my parents off not to see them again for a long time, I was instead looking at render percentages on an iMac.

The actual schedule was a bit all over the place, originally, we were told must be done by like the Monday night or something so the organisers can have it ready to be shown. However apparently in due to some kind of miscommunication, the audio department was unaware so they wouldn’t have a scratch mix (a early mix) done until late Tuesday, which was roughly the time where the films would soon be shown. The simulation of TV deadlines just got more intense.

It was done however, my director got me the scratch mix and I imported it into the project, after a last minute fixing of a couple things (although forgot to fix one flash-issue) we were ready to render.
There was one strange issue with the audio seemingly out of sync at one point which caused a bit of a panic with the director, however when the film actually rendered suddenly the issue was no longer there, so I guess just another one of those things.

Despite my film being the shock-and-horror of the class in terms of being SO far behind apparently compared to the others a week ago, my film was the first to actually render.
So while other films were still being tweaked with audio due to issues with that, I just watched on while a spare iMac was chugging away with our render.
Note: " Little Pony" is spelt right, should have been "Lite Ponly"
In this moment I felt pretty good (and a bit smug) about how things were going.

But as a group we all pulled through and all three films were rendered, on a USB and handed-in, we made it.

So actually showing, after some amusement at the way our films were described on the posters of films (including ‘fixing’ a spelling error which was actually part of the Fan Fiction title) and episodes two and three being swapped around (although thankfully due to our naming conventions, the episodes were played in the intended order which was Twilight 1, Pony 2, Batman 3), we made it in.

The theatre watched the first few films before hours with documentaries and a couple short films, they were all really good.
I personally was quite impressed with the Robot one, the post-production work in it was great, it looked totally legit.
Also shout-out to the homeless and bush-fire docos, powerful stuff.

But then our films, the audience reaction was… as I predicted. A few laughs here and there, but it hardly set the world on fire. My episode (My Little Pony) as the middle one and had the middle amount of laughs, as for the last episode (Batman), well there was long pauses of silence from the audience.
Using my pseudo-science I would put this down more to the audience getting bored of the concept, the first episode  (Twilight) had the most amount of laughs, but with mine being medium and the last being very few, I have to put this down to the audience getting numb at the concept, even the narrator jokes about genitals were getting a numb response by the end.

I personally believe this would be the same result no matter what order you played the episodes in, I think the last episode which played, had it been the first would have had the most laughs, while if the first episode shown was placed last, it would have had very few laughs.
So no matter if it went Batman, Pony, Twilight or Pony Batman Twilight or Pony Twilight Batman or Batman Twilight Pony, it would have been the same result.
I don’t think it was down to the actual content or quality of the episode stand-alone, I think the issue is the package as a whole.

I wasn’t surprised, I knew this would be the case, from early on I knew that the jokes which could get the most lol’s would be A. Screaming, B. Dick Jokes. AKA lowest common denominator level of humour. The rest, got a chuckle here and there from somewhere, but once again didn’t set the world on fire.

Am I being too harsh? Maybe, maybe I am too close to the project. But if anything, the audiences rather muted reaction just validates my feelings.
Still, the fact my episode had the medium amount of laughs, I’ll take that.

Unrelated to my project, but I really enjoyed this game. "A Witch's Trial"
As for the rest of the exhibition, played a few fun games from the Games Department and saw some really neat art from the Design students, so not a bad night overall. Pop-corn and free booze, far better than last time.

As for the audio mix, it really did help pull it together. Most of laughs I think are from their efforts, audio is such a vital part of film.
People will tolerate poor visuals, but the one thing people will never accept is poor sound, YouTube has been a long standing testament to this theory.
The musical beat in the background was nice and hoppy, the sound-effects were cute and it really helped to hear the actor as the narrator narrating, instead listening to my own awful voice.

The audio students did a great job, as did the background artist (see top of post). The other departments deserve all the credit they can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment