Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Future of LotRO in Europe

The Future of LotRO in Europe while to many is stable… it may not. As many of you may know early this August DDO in Europe shut down and all accounts were transferred from Codemasters back to Turbine. This happened because of “our operating licence has now expired”.

For the people who don’t know DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stormreach) was released on the 28th of February in 2006, 4 years ago. In the leaving note they said the licence was only 4 years. Why did Turbine want back? I don’t know. Maybe they think they can run the servers better now, they didn’t like they way Codemasters handled the game (even if all content was really made by Turbine), they think with the new DDO that it will work better or (what I think) Warner Brothers (who own Turbine now) wanted it to be only being under Turbines full control? Like I said I don’t know.

Now let’s say that the same 4 year licence was the same for LotRO. In which case Codemasters will “lose” the licence next year. Now when Warner Brothers brought over Turbine, I don’t think they were after Asheron’s Call (even if it would make a pretty kickass movie). Earlier this year (or late last year, I forgot) Warner Brother got the full game licence of Lord of the Ring from EA (which I think was a good move). The only part they didn’t have was Turbines part. So when Warner Brothers got Turbine they got the FULL licence to LotR games and since they own New Time, they have the movies too. The only thing they don’t have is the books (who know they buy them next o.O). Oh also they Asheron’s Call fully and they have an MMO company with a good name and there games are on the rise.

I think it’s highly likely that WB will want the LotRO back from Codemasters when there licence runs out.

Of course this is all ideas in mah head; I mean I don’t even know if it is a 4 year licence, I am just going off the DDO licence time.

What do you think? Do you want it? Or do you think that my logic fails in everyway?

For the full note to here à http://www.ddo-europe.com/closure/

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I hadn't paid attention to the DDO dealings with Codemasters so it's important to note that they had a 4 year contract..

    ReplyDelete